After a long winter’s nap, three state highways to lakes in the White Mountains are scheduled to reopen Thursday, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
They are: State Route 261 between Eagar and Big Lake; State Route 273 between Sunrise Park and Big Lake; and State Route 473 between State Route 260 and Hawley Lake.
Another highway that closes for the winter, State Route 67, leading to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, is anticipated to reopen in mid-May.
Before heading off to enjoy the mountains, motorists should do the following:
- Make sure all occupants in a vehicle are buckled in.
- Check tire pressure, fluids and more to make sure a vehicle is in proper running condition.
- Be patient, including not following other vehicles too closely and building in extra travel time.
- Get enough sleep before the trip.
- Bring extra water and food.
- Never drink and drive.